Formal Self Introduction Letter

Dear Professor Brad,

Allow me to introduce myself. I am Soh Jun Yang from tutorial group 6, and I am currently taking your module, effective communication. I graduated from Ngee Ann Polytechnic with a Diploma in Aerospace Engineering with Business Management. As a young child, I was always fascinated by planes and how they can take flight, at the same time having the ability to navigate in the air without signboards or traffic lights to aid their destination. This had led me to pursue a diploma with relation to aeronautics. With the knowledge I gained from taking my diploma, I wish to further expand my understanding of the fourth industrial revolution by taking my degree in mechanical engineering.

Throughout my time in polytechnic, I felt that my communication strength is being open-minded. Any good communicator should enter any conversation (be it work or personal) with a flexible and open mind. For instance, while I was interning in ST Aerospace, I was placed under the quality assurance department. They were looking for new ways to reorganize the process using an online platform. Together with my supervisor, an intern colleague and me, my team and I had differing opinions on what extensions should be used. Due to our differences in personalities, conversations sometimes became quite heated. I listened to both parties and encouraged them to see the each other’s point of views, rather than simply getting their message across as it would allow us to have more honest and productive conversations.

As I had always been working on the operational parts of my part-time jobs and internships, I have not had much experience with public speaking, and thus I would say that is a weakness for me. I experienced it whenever I had to do individual presentations for interdisciplinary studies modules, which aimed to explore areas outside our chosen course of study. For instance, as I took up a module on basic communication, there were times which we had to give a brief introduction of ourselves and to present individually. Though I practiced my script at home, oftentimes, my mind would just go blank.

I was a competitive floorball player during my time in polytechnic. I often had to communicate with my teammates on tactics and formations to be the best. Oftentimes it was hard to get my message across to my peers when everyone was tired and had their own opinions as to how they want to play the match.

Two specific goals I have for this module is to firstly, become a more confident speaker. Some jobs require regular presentation to customers, teammates, and employees. Being a student gives me time to practice my presentation skills. Secondly, getting used to writing at the university level since I came from an engineering background, I did not have much to write during my studies. The most I had to write then were lab reports, mainly in point forms and screenshots. 

Thank you for reading my letter. I hope to be a better version of myself by the end of this module.

Best Regards, 

Jun Yang

Group 6

Comments

  1. Dear Jun Yang,

    Thank you for your well elaborated introduction letter. Being open-minded is a positive trait as we would be able to hear many opinions and compare which suits your goal and belief. However, the letter was not concise as there we a few unnecessary elaborations. For instance, “As a young child, I was always fascinated by planes and how they can take flight, at the same time having the ability to navigate in the air without signboards or traffic lights to aid their destination.”. Next the letter was not formal as he started with “ Allow me to introduce myself.”. These are the 2 weakness in the letter. Overall, it is a well written and well elaborated letter.

    Regards,
    Yon Jun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yon Jun,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and pointing out my mistakes. I appreciated your time and effort.

      Regards,
      Jun Yang

      Delete
  2. Dear Jun Yang,

    Your letter is very concise and descriptive. I enjoyed reading your letter. It is great that you are able to construct such concise sentences while being very detailed. The flow of your letter is very smooth and it has no unnecessary information, fully capturing the essence of what you are thinking. You understand what you lack and know the things that you appreciate, in my opinion this is what make the letter unique and extraordinary. Well done!

    I hope you can achieve the goals you have set out for yourself in the module and I look forward to knowing you more in person.

    Best wishes,
    YiDa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yi Da,

      Thank you for reading my letter. I will strive to be a better person with the confidence you have given me.

      Regards,
      Jun Yang

      Delete
  3. Hi Jun Yang
    Thank you for writing the the letter. It is really heartening that we both have the same interest in planes. overall, I think your letter has fulfilled most the requirements and you have explained everything in detail. It is good that you include examples in al your points. however you have to be careful as there is a word limit of 300 words. lastly, I hope to know you better through this module and eventually achieve our goals together.

    Best regards,
    Qiyi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Qi Yi,

      Thank you for reading my letter and letting me know that I have exceed my word limit. I'm surprised to learn that we share the same interest. I hope we can talk more throughout this trimester.

      Regards,
      Jun Yang

      Delete
  4. Dear Jun Yang,

    Thank you for this richly detailed letter. It's clear, fairly succinct and highly informative. You do a good job covering the scope of the assignment brief as you detail your educational background and experience in poly and in your internship, connecting your interest in aerospace and study choice with your development of communication and engineering skills and your goals. It's enriching for us readers to learn about your ST Aerospace project, for example, and the growth that you experienced. One area that I would like you to expand on beyond this letter is your in-class participation. Honestly, it's still hard for me to put a face to your name.

    This letter is also quite fluent, though there are a couple minor language issues to take note of:

    1. over use of caps
    -- I took up a module on Basic Communication... > ?

    2. Secondly, getting used to writing at the university level. > (fragment)

    I look forward to getting to know you more this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad,

      Thank you for taking time off your busy schedule to read my letter. I have amended the language mistakes that you have pointed out.

      I will be more active in class and thank you once again for your time and efforts.

      Regards,
      Jun Yang

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary & Reader Response Final

Critical Thinking